I’m a skin care lover. I used to have a medicine cabinet just over flowing with every weird, random, new, drug store skin care item. Self Care and Face Mask are virtually synonymous in my book (I even wrote a whole post of my fave masks!). Over the past few years I’ve slowly weaned from random buys, and ingredients I can’t pronounce. I’d like to say that’s all because of ethics, but a huge portion of that is cost too. Skin care stuff is EXPENSIVE. But using what I already use in my home? Far cheaper. Whole ingredients that I can actually just snag from the grocery store? Yup. It’s a pretty sweet added bonus that they’re better for my body, the environment, and wallet.
Today I wanted to share a few of my easy, total body (often we only focus on our faces! But all our skin loves loving) skin care tips. The best things I’ve found for my skin are almost all ingredients that I already have in my pantry or fridge. The foods I put in my body, are often the foods I put ON my body as well. And? How we treat our bodies is often reflected in our skin, so some of these tips aren’t products at all.
- Sweat! I get sweaty, often. And it opens up my pores, allows some of the junk to get pushed out, and always leave me glowing. Increased blood flow is so good for your skin, sweat, exercise (or sauna/hot baths), and anything that makes you dewy and rosy cheeked, is great for your skin.
- So.Much.Water. Our bodies need, crave, and run on water. Your skin is your biggest organ, and keeping it well hydrated is really important. I drink roughly 100-120oz of water a day, but a good general rule of half your body weight in oz. daily.
- Coconut Oil. I’m sure you’ve heard this before, but seriously! The uses are unending; I use it as a total body moisturizer, hair mask, mix in for face masks (I’ll share an easy recipe at the end of this post!), ‘cream’ for shaving, and more! One of my favorite uses is as a makeup remover. It is so good for your hair, so it makes total sense that it is incredible for your eye lashes too. Helps them not to break or thin. And, removes mascara like whoa.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. I love ACV as a toner (I just wipe it on with a cotton ball), and as a mix-in for facemasks. But it is also amazing as a quick deodorant or ‘sink bath’ aid. You can dab it on your underarms and once the smell dissipates (super quickly) it works really well as a deodorant.
- Honey. Honey, especially high quality raw honey, is an amazing moisturizer. You can use it as a mask on any body part (I use it on my hands when my eczema is bad and my lips when they’re cracked or dry). I do honey face masks every week and they are really helpful during weather shifts as my skin is sensitive and dries out when the weather changes. You can do just plain honey, or mix in charcoal, turmeric, or coffee (scrub), for clarifying, brightening, or anti-inflammatory effects.
A quick and easy face scrub is to mix together 1/4 cup (or less) of coffee grounds (I just empty out my French press!) and mix with 1-2 tbs of coconut oil or honey. I use this all over (warning; do it in a shower! The grounds are a bit messy) my body, it’s perfect for scaly legs, dry elbows, or brightening up your face.
If you don’t do coffee, you can substitute with sugar, salt, or oatmeal! All have great benefits to your skin, exfoliate to different degree’s depending on your sensitivity, and you likely already have them on hand! Don’t have coconut oil? Use olive oil! Seriously. Your home already has some amazing ingredients on hand to (make cookies) make your skin feel so soft, glow, and feel pampered.